Welcome to Math in FocusTM: The Singapore Approach, the world-class math curriculum from Singapore adapted for U.S. classrooms based on updated math standards. Math in Focus addresses topics in greater depth at each grade.
This year, your fifth grader will focus on:
- building problem-solving skills and strategies
- multiplying and dividing with 2-digit numbers, fractions, mixed numbers and decimals
- solving equations and evaluationg inequalities
- finding area of a triangle, and surface area and volume of three-dimensional shapes
- using ratios and percents, and finding the probablity of an event
- applying properites of angles, traingles, and four-side figures
You can help your child build confidence as well as communication skills in mathematics by practicing newly acquired skills at home by taking advantage of opportunities to use math in everyday situations. Allow your child's math class-work or homework to guide you in determining the appropriate level of challenge.
While reading newspapers and magazines, invite your child to:
- estimate sums, differences, products, and quotients of large numbers
- keep an eye of for ratios, percents, and graphs
At home or at the supermarket, challenge your child to:
- decide which brand is more cost effective
- find the surface area and volume of objects in the shape of rectangular prisms
- classify triangles and find the area of traingular figures
- use calculators to work with household bills
On car trips, allow your child to:
- identify various three-dimensional shapes
- read maps with scales expressed in ratio form
Contact your child's teacher if you have any questions about the program or your child's progress.